Sunday, May 2, 2010

Blog 1

I have found by observing the behavior and attitude of education by my students that some value education more than others. I have two students who are originally from Belize who have dreams and goals that they are working towards. However, those two students also slack off on turning in assignments and studying for test. Those students if you ask them what they want to do when they grow say a marine bioliogist and a fashion designer. One of the students parents owns a jewerly store and always provides money and a ride to school for this student. When talking to the teacher to find out how much family support he has, she said that the parents do care and they are aware of his grades. The only thing I could not figure out was why this student did not strive to do better on his assignments. On the other hand there is one student if you ask him what he wants to do when he grows up he could not tell you. But he does well on almost all of his assignments. This student gets into trouble a lot because of his background. When I had asked the teacher about him she said that his dad had left them and his mom was very tough on him. Far as the others I noticed that the ones who are originally from another country seemed to value their education a little differently. The student from England would never turn in any of his assignments and seemed to care very little if he got a good grade or not. Where as one of the students from Canada got upset if she did not do well on assignments, and strived to be number one in the class. After observing the class and learning more about the backgrounds of my students I realized that many of them did not care too much about their education because their parents gave them everything and they assumed they would take over the family business. This was interesting to me because back in the states I had graduated with quite a few people who had the same view as them on education. Overall I feel that education is only valued by those who do not want to inherit the family business and who have higher aspirations and goals outside business, finance, and tourism.
Far as how the childeren are veiwed I feel like it depends on which families you are talking about. If the family has money I feel that the children are viewed as children, they are given money to go out and play and buy items with. On the other hand if the family does not have money I feel that the children are viewed as family employees. I believe that the love for both types of families are still there but rather the role has changed.After talking and hanging out with one of the kids that sells jewerely I realized that is what makes up the latter part of the day. This kid goes to school then sells jewerly until about 11 at night. I asked him when he went out and played and he said when his mom or sister takes over for him. The child did not seem to mind selling jewelry but I believe that is because he knew he had to in order for his family to surive.

No comments:

Post a Comment